Phase 1 of Website Refurbishing- completed!

Whoa. I had not idea.

I’ve finally completed the first phase of the refurbishing otakpim.com. After years of using the previous otakpim.com design (which I coded by hand), I’ve decided to change it. I’m using WordPress as the base, and slowly moving in content that I’ve backed up.

When I embarked on this this morning, I thought I’d be done in half a day, max. It turned out to be a full day, with meals and a couple of hours out shopping in between. I’ve used WordPress previously when I set up my wife’s blog, but I had no idea that when I’m customizing it to my very precise needs that I’d have to invest the time to really study the nuances of the software. Granted, it’s powerful, but it’s also not terribly efficient. Takes a long time to get the simplest edit done, and I have to move back and forth menu items to change the CSS. Maybe when I get a little more experience things will ease up.

I’m glad to say the worst is over.

I’ll be spending the next few days putting in my prior blog entries, warts and all, and will continue to update this site more regularly.

On the otak development front, I’m happy to announce that otak is not completely forgotten, although if I’m honest I’ll admit being distracted with a brand new project. You’ll see nothing there at present, but soon… 🙂 In any case, I’ve never relied on otak more in my current work, so I will definitely continue to develop it.

As if it’s not enough, I’ve found out a little about the iCalendar standard, which I hope otak will support in the future. Ah, on second thought, maybe after a short list of urgent enhancements first…